Aging is a part of life, but it does not have to come with a multitude of inconveniences. Some elderly people fear leaving their home as they age despite family members seeing benefits to retirement communities, nursing homes, and the like. For aging family members wishing to stay in their own home as long as possible, some home modifications can help elderly family members maximize the amount of time they can live in their home in their old age.
- Ramp - A ramp can easily work with existing front porches, allowing for those using wheelchairs to have the freedom to leave their home.
- Grab Bars- Grab bars can be added to the tub or shower to assist the elderly person enter a bathing area and can also allow for them to exit the tub or shower without difficulty. Another great way to increase navigability for an aging family member is to add an additional banister or railing to a staircase.
- Widening Doorways- This usually requires the assistance of a general contractor, but is very beneficial to those who rely on wheelchairs for mobility. Older homes are less likely than newer homes to have doorways conducive to wheelchairs.
- Change Tub/Shower- Multiple manufactures offer tubs and shower stalls that are conducive to the elderly entering and exiting. Traditional tubs can prohibit an aging family member from safely and comfortably entering and exiting.
- Move Basement Appliances to Main Floor- A home with first floor bedrooms can be modified to allow for a washing machine and dryer to be on the first floor, removing the need for the aging family member to make several trips downstairs for laundry.
These modifications are best implemented before the need presents itself. When a family member shows signs of age, it is probably time to begin discussions about care options. Elderly family members seeking to remain in their home to the greatest extent possible can stay in their homes when modifications are made and when the situation dictates, companies offer in-home care for aging adults wishing to stay home, but who need someone to help them take care of their basic needs. Balanced Home Care provides aging customers with outstanding care with an emphasis on maintaining a client’s dignity. Contact them today!